Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Modern Art Is A Lie Forced On The Public

Art has always taken many forms. What the public views as art spans from photo-realism to modern art. Modern art has seeming low or no talent, and is viewed by many as a hoax. I agree with this view. Modern art often consists of randomness, and many things that anybody could do. For example, in the movie My Kid Could Paint That, the viewer is shown a metal bust of a middle finger. This vulgar hunk of bronze is considered art by today's community. I find it to be neither creative or enjoyable. It does not deserve to be considered in the same category, commonly known as art, as The Last Supper or the Sistine Chapel.
Art is defined as a skill acquired by experience, study, or observation. Marla's work was called art, and considered to be talented modern art. However, it does not fit the definition of art. If she had a "skill," she certainly did not acquire it through experience, study, or observation. She was only four years old, and they used her first painting in an art show. She obviously did not study to gain this "talent." Her observation was limited to seeing her dad paint, and asking him if she could paint. A four year old may be able to emulate someone, but as I know from experience, a four year old cannot repeat something as technical as art solely through observation. This leads me to believe that modern art is a lie forced on the public.

2 comments:

  1. Hm, I'm a little confused by your argument here. Do you believe all modern art is a lie because a four year old would not be able to create a "Marla" painting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, but I am using that as an example. I believe modern art is a lie because it does not require talent, it is considered art by those who decide to pay for it. I don't agree with them.

    ReplyDelete